Thursday, December 29, 2005

Arghhh...another shopping blunder

If you read this blog regularly, get used to these because they are going to be plentiful. I really, really, really, really, really (trying to use Shakespaere's '5 in a row' strategy for emphasis) hate bad service!

So I went to buy my parents a VCR for christmas. They don't want to buy a DVD recordable yet because they think that they are still overpriced and underdeveloped (which is probably true) but their old quality VCR is finally starting to kick the bucket (as you might expect after about 20 years of wear and tear).

So I first go into this big electronics store. I know exactly what I am looking for because I own one myself. After a 5 minute spew from the sales guy about how there is no such thing, and never has been such a thing as 'commercial advance' (a feature which my VCR currently has) I decided I would shop elsewhere. I try hard not give my money to companies who support any kind of bad salemanship. I mean come on, at least come clean when the customer says to you, "but I own one with that very feature..."

So I move on to a major department store (to avoid being sued I will try to remane generic when making negative comments, but will say it wasn't The Bay) and they have the kind I think I am looking for. I am glad, but to be sure, I ask for some documentation so that I can read it to check. Sure enough, the guy prints me out (from the internet of course, gone are the days things ship with user manuals I guess) a list of the product's features and "commercial advance" is listed so I am satisfied. One more check - I ask for a black one, knowing they come in both Silver and Black. The salesman looks all over the package for an indication of the color and can't find anything. He gets the young sales rep who "knows it all" and confidently says - "Oh, that one is black, its code ends in a 'K'" (like that was obvious).

Anyway, I take it, my parents open it on christmas and I set it up for them. A silver VCR without 'commercial advance' - go figure. I guess that means I won't be shopping at - - anymore. The problem is, I have had bad service pretty much everywhere I have shopped now. Is there any place left???

No comments: