Saturday, January 07, 2006

Man, am I getting old!

Last night a couple of friends and I went out for drinks. Nothing unusual about that, we do it often. Last night however, we went to the "Rockin' Rodeo." While that is not unusual for my friends, I had never been there. Regardless, we were all acting like a bunch of old women (which we were, from the perspective of most of the people surrounding us).

Here's what I mean. As soon as I walked in, I could see a billion little tiny girls with barely anything on. OK - that's from my 'Old frigid lady' perspective. There were billions of girls, and they were wearing some pretty skimpy attire, but hey, what's wrong with showing a little skin??

So we get our drinks and sit down at a bar table not far from the dance floor. Again, very quickly I notice that all the girls are walking through the bar holding hands and the 'Old frigid lady' inside of me says "What's wrong with these girls? Can't they find enough gumption inside themselves to walk through a bar without being physically attached to their best friend?" OK - what's really wrong with that. Didn't we all used to have to go to the bathroom in pairs? I guess this is the modern day version of that.

So we continue to drink, and observe. Next we see a group of girls, a team, or a set of bridesmaids or something, all dressed in the same slinky white tank top, asking boys to sign it. That's when I caught myself being the 'Old frigid lady'. The girls were having fun, just like the guys, and I was trying to find something wrong with what they were doing. But what's wrong with a little flirting in a bar! Ikes, I really am getting old.

Not to long after that, one of my friends leaned over to me and said, "Why are all the girls trying to show off their boobs". This was rather funny coming from Karen, since she is very well endowed herself and does quite a bit to hide her 'gifts'. She followed up with, "if it were all about boobs, and I showed a little more, I could bring the whole bar over to our table". After a pause, and a swig of her drink, she sat back and said "I'm getting old."

Here's the thing. We didn't see anything unreasonable last night. The girls were out and flirting, showing off their pretty little bodies, hanging with each other in support, and the boys were out enjoying it. I guess they were strutting there stuff aswell, but baseball hats and bangs flipped up don't register for me as what's hot to trot. Bottom line - good for them. Out, having fun. Maybe picking-up, let's hope being safe and responsible about that. Didn't we all do that in our day?

Of course we did. And people our age looked back at us as if we were doing something naughty. When did I turn into my mom? Well, maybe not quite yet. Here's to the meat market. May I respect it for another few years yet (at least as much as I did when I was a part of it - which thinking back, wasn't all that much, hmmm...).

No comments: